Saturday, February 16, 2008

crows cry cover the corn before the storm


I.
I will remove my armor

II.
I will remove my armor
and set it beside the pond
beneath the swollen moon

radiant pumice,
scrape the embryos 
from the aluminum
of my bend sinister

III.
beneath
a sky black and screaming
with birds
a sleeping cowboy

IV.
tired old man
your spurs cut
your brown horse

tired old man
cut my throat
and polish your
chalky boots
with my warm blood

V.
my queen,
i come to you
when i have been
drinking 
for days

for day
i have been drinking
and i have not come

VI.
"there is something in your sighs
which tells me this will no longer work"


"i never thought you low enough
to criticize my weight"

VII.
jesus christ slept
as i left the hospital
dragging my IV line

the carriage met me 
moving in the fallen fog

VIII.
the mayor may or may not knot
his rabbit ears
of corn
his horns were there
when he returned from sea
two white vegetables

IX.
beneath high noon
beneath heat and gravity
which swim downward
onward and persistent
like magma archangels
i am working 
in the fields again
swinging my scythe

X.
beneath night
which circles the earth
as a lovely dark screen
like octopus ink
orbiting a blow fish
i am standing
in the trembling night
with the upright and silent cattle
and i am breathing again

1 Comments:

Blogger natalie balents said...

I have some propensity for this one. Maybe it is the lines about Jesus or the curious idioms & intense allusions that I dont understand. I get these erratic images in my mind and I wonder if they are more connected in yours. (I also like how you are using animals more in your poems)

February 25, 2008 at 2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home